Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Organized Chaos.

It has to be obvious that we are snowed in again. Two blog posts in one day has not been happening around here lately. I am suddenly ready to jump back into the blogosphere. I am currently in the middle of a HUGE overhaul of my house. I have decided that "things" are slowly becoming my demise. Since moving into our new house over a year ago, our space nearly tripled. Being the one that is responsible for cleaning and maintaining the inside of the house...I was nervous about the transition. My instincts were spot on and I have become a slave to my house. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining because I LOVE our house and almost everything about it. I am just drowning in housework. It had gotten to the point where I became physically ill when I started thinking about all of the chores that I were still left at the end of the day. After hours of brainstorming with my momma, I knew what I had to do.

Each thing brought into my house (be it live or inanimate), creates work. I must decide as I walk through the door with anything, "Is this worth the work it will cause me?" I used to be a little bit of a pack rat. No need to call "Hoarders: Buried Alive" just yet. I wasn't THAT bad, but I often kept things that I thought I would use someday. Well, someday is here. If I am not using it TODAY, then it's going out. I'm serious about this. You can't even imagine the pile of garage sale stuff that has piled up in the basement. (Our neighborhood garage sale is the last Saturday in April and I can't wait!) I haven't had a problem getting rid of stuff because I KNOW it will be worth letting go. Hopefully the husband, kids and dog can prove themselves worthy. ;-)

As I chug along, leaving a path of organization in my wake, I am thankful. Thankful that I have a mom who will listen to my frustrations and offer such great ideas. I'm also thankful for a husband who doesn't tell me I'm crazy when I tell him I already want to repaint our bedroom and bathroom. I think he knows that after almost two weeks being snowed in with the kiddos, I am bound to come up with all kinds of "creative" ideas. Now I must go...I have some trash bags to fill!

2 comments:

Sheila said...

You are your Momma's girl! I admire that!!

Laci said...

It was nice to read this, I know just how you feel. I kind of thought that maybe I was crazy, so it was nice to be in good company. Being home with the kids is such a blessing, but with so much time spent playing and eating/making meals at this house, it can get very overwhelming keeping things up! We are also cleaning up, simplifying, giving away and reducing what it is we need around here.