Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hmmm.

SO! We had an appointment this morning with Dr. Turpin (our pediatric endocrinologist) at 10:45. They come here once a month and meet with as many patients as they can so we don't have to drive all the way to KC. Long story short....Claire does NOT have CPP (central precocious puberty)!!! I think there was a miscommunication when Dr. Spade called with Claire's test results. (She is doing her fellowship under Dr. Turpin) Dr. Turpin assured me that her hormone levels were ALL well within the normal range. GREAT NEWS! I was so excited until I remembered that we still have tons of symptoms and no diagnosis. Then she suggested that we do a glucose and insulin test because she feels that Claire is dealing with "Insulin Resistance." Basically it is like someone who has high cholesterol and can't control it with just diet and exercise. If she is in fact diagnosed with this, she will need to take daily medication to keep her blood sugar in check. It is an oral medication with no side effects. She assured me that Claire's diet and lifestyle are not to blame and that she will not really have to change much because her habits are already very good. We will know more in the next week or so after we do the blood test and they get another bone age on her. Insulin resistance also explains ALL of her symptoms! It causes the body to produce excess androgen which is often processed into estrogen which in turn causes all of the prepubescent symptoms she has been experiencing. My main concern was, "Will she develop diabetes?" She is not at risk of developing Type I just because of the insulin resistance. She is at higher risk of developing Type II later in life so it is very important that we instill healthy habits and support a very healthy and active lifestyle. My head is, once again, swimming right now. However, I feel a peace in my heart that I haven't felt regarding Claire's health. I feel like we are finally barking up the RIGHT tree!

1 comment:

Momzoo said...

I am glad things are starting to sort themselves out, sometimes dealing with the medical world can be so very frusterating!

Blessings, Aimee