Monday, March 16, 2009

Therapy.

I am slowly learning more about sewing and getting more familiar with my machine. I am really excited about getting to know ALL of the features on it! I have been rather busy lately making little crafts. I thought I would share a few of them with you.

Here is a little something I made for a birthday party on Saturday. I still have some things to perfect and I think it would be much easier to use felt on the entire project, but the felt in my local fabric store is very plain. Just solid colors...BOOOOO. Plus, if you knew this little Claire that it went to, you would know that this pattern with the brightly colored butterflies is perfect for her! I THINK I have seen felt before that has patterns on it, but I could be totally wrong. I can't wait to make one for my Claire to put in her church bag! I'm thinking about making a pocket on the outside for a notebook. Oooh, I think I will make her a new church bag to match!!! OH the possibilities!




This is my first apron that I am actually keeping for myself!!! I was REALLY pleased with the way it turned out. I was in a winter rut and decided that a spring inspired apron was just what I needed. The only problem is, I'm afraid to wear it!
All of this creating means more trips to the fabric store. I know my husband cringes when I say "I'm going to stop by the fabric store!" I would be willing to wager his first thought is somewhere along the lines of, "How much is this going to cost?" Right now my projects are fairly simple and small. They don't require a lot of fabric and I also make use of the remnants they have marked WAY down. (I love digging for treasure in the remnant bin!) However, no matter what I spend on fabric, I can assure you it is a very cheap form of therapy. I have often found myself walking in to the store with tears in my eyes because life has been especially tough lately. Soon, I am perusing the aisles and I am whisked away to another world! I find solace in the textures. I lose myself in the possibilities. Color combos dance in my head until I have traveled a safe distance from reality. I make my selection, take it to the nice lady at the counter and we make small talk about my current project as she cuts. I find buttons, thread, ribbon or whatever I need to complete my masterpiece. Life is good. I pick out my candy selection. (I love to have hard candy very near while I work...keeps me from biting my lip!) I head to my truck. Reality slowly sinks back in but I escaped for a moment. My next stop is usually the preschool to pick up my kids...my other form of therapy.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

uhmmm....okay. after seeing that little apron, I want one for Adilynn!!! you just name your price sister!